Richard Combes ROI
1963 Born Manchester, England. 1983-89 BA & BArch in Architecture, University of Liverpool. 1993-95 MFA, New York Academy of Art, New York. 2003 Elected Associate Member Royal Institute of Oil Painters (ROI). 2004 Elected Full Member Royal Institute of Oil Painters (ROI).
“My work combines my background and training in figurative art and architecture. I use a meticulous rendering of detail, perspective and colour to explore the relationship between architectural space and the human form”.
Method of Working
“I work primarily in oil using a combination of brush and palette knife to create the various textures I require. I begin a painting by blocking out my composition in broad areas of thinly painted colour. I then overlay a detailed perspective drawing and proceed over several stages to refine and resolve my painting”.
- Whittington Fine Art, Henley-on –Thames.
- Harley Gallery, Nottinghamshire.
- Bassetlaw Museum, Nottinghamshire.
- Dukeries Art Gallery, Nottinghamshire.
- Royal Institute of Oil Painters (ROI), Mall Galleries, London.
- Royal Society of Portrait Painters (RP), Mall Galleries, London.
- Summer Exhibitions, Royal Academy of Arts, London.
- BP Portrait Awards, National Portrait Gallery, London.
- Gallery Henoch, New York.
- Millenium Galleries, Sheffield.
- Barbra Streisand, Los Angeles.
- John Major, Former Prime Minister, London.
- Leslie Wexner, Columbus Ohio.
- Sir Andrew Buchanan, Lord Lieutenant, Nottinghamshire.
- Sir Hugh Neill, KCVO, CBE, Nottinghamshire.
- Kuytayba Alghanim, Kuwait.
- Cutlers Hall, Sheffield.
Awards & Scholarships
- Stanley Grimm Award, 2004/2011. ROI Mall Galleries.
- Alan Gourley Award, 2007/2011. ROI Mall Galleries.
- Cornelissen Prize, 2004/2011. ROI Mall Galleries.
- Menena Joy Schwabe Memorial Award, 2006. ROI Mall Galleries.
- Le Clerc Fowle Medal, 2011. ROI Mall Galleries.
- Posey Foundation Scholarship, 1993/1994. Sarasota Florida.
- ‘Manchester Evening News’, June 2013.
- ‘ Yorkshire Post’, July 2005 / March 2008.
- ‘ The Metro’, July 2005.
- ‘ Nottinghamshire Today’, September 2005.
- ‘ The International Artist’, October 2002.