Tim Benson VPROI
Educated at Glasgow School of Art and Byam Shaw School of Art from 1998-2001, Tim is a practiced portrait artist and not only creates a distinguishable representation of a sitter but moreover evokes the subject’s character and mood. He ultimately leaves the viewer questioning the larger context, as presented in the surroundings and settings of pieces. Tim regularly exhibits in solo and group exhibitions around the UK. He displays fine art portraits that stand on their own as collectible works of art and accordingly has established a large following and collector base. In addition to his fine art pieces, he accepts formal portrait and figurative commissions in oil or charcoal.
As well as working in his studio Tim also teaches portraiture at Heatherley’s School of Fine Art in Chelsea and at Hampstead School of Art. Tim is based at The Chocolate Factory studios in North London. He regularly invites sitters to the studio and also travels to subjects’ own environments to present individuals in their own private settings.
I strive to make an image that offers more than simple representation – something with an emotive quality that captures the viewer’s imagination.
- OCTOBER-NOVEMBER: ‘Ruth Borchard Self-Portrait Competition’, Kings Place Gallery, Kings Place, London.
- OCTOBER: Affordable Art Fair, Hampstead Heath – Highgate Contemporary Art
- AUGUST: Summer Exhibition – Picturecraft Gallery, Holt, Norfolk
- JULY-SEPTEMBER: Summer Miscellany – Highgate Contemporary Art
- MAY: Two Artist show – Highgate Contemporary Art. Annual Exhibition – Royal Society of Portrait Painters, Mall Galleries
Scholarships, Awards, Prizes
- 2011 Elected Full Member of the Royal Institute of Oil Painters
- 2011 Elected Associate of the Royal Institute of Oil Painters
- 2010 Second prize – Winsor & Newton Young Artist Award, Annual Exhibition, Royal Institute of Oil Painters, Mall Galleries
- 2004 Third prize, Winsor & Newton Young Artist Award, Annual Exhibition, Royal Institute of Oil Painters, Mall Galleries
- ‘Dynamic oil portraits with Tim Benson AROI’ instructional DVD from ‘Town House Films’.
- Guest columnist, ‘The Artist’ magazine, December 2011 issue.