David has a First Class (Joint Hons) degree in Fine Art and Pure Mathematics from the University of Wales, Aberystwyth (1994-1997). Since graduating he has continued to pursue his passion for painting and in particular plein air painting. Ideas are explored on location and these works can have the potential to be developed into more resolved pieces back in the studio. Often there is little more to say beyond the original statement and the painting needs no further development. This approach has enabled David to develop his observational and technical skills whilst encouraging a greater connection and understanding of the subjects he encounters. The energy and focus that comes from tapping directly into the very essence of the moment is an increasingly important element in his work. David was elected a full member of the ROI in 2012.
- ROI (2006-12)
- Bath Prize (Bath Gallery)
- Hawker Gallery, Amersham (including ROI exhibitions)
- A & K Wilson, Harpenden (including ROI exhibitions)
- Llewellyn Alexander, London
- New Grafton, London
- Burlington Contemporary, Cheltenham
Other activities and Awards
- Selected by the BBC to be one of a group of artists to paint the Diamond Jubilee Pageant from the Millennium bridge (May 2012). Filming was broadcast live as part of the BBC’s coverage of the event.
- Member of the Plein Air Brotherhood www.pleinairbrotherhood.co.uk
- Winner of ‘Best plein air’ and ‘Best small painting’, The Bath Prize 2010
- Winner of Winsor & Newton painting prize, ROI paint evening 2010
- Written several articles, published in The Artist magazine (UK) and Plein Air magazine (US/International)