Fred Beckett RSMA FROI Hon RI Hon RBA
- Royal Institute of Oil Painters
- Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours
- Royal Society of British Artists
- Royal Society of Marine Artists
Fred is an accomplished artist whose knowledge of his native East Anglia often appears as the subject matter of his paintings. He is a Member of The Royal Institute of Oil Painters and was its President 1995 to 1997; in January 1998 he was elected a Fellow of The Institute. He is an Honorary Artist Member of The Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolours and an Honorary Member of The Royal Society of British Artists. He is also a member of the renowned Wapping Group of Artists and he is a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Painter-Stainers. In October 2009 he was elected a Member of the Royal Society of Marine Artists.
He exhibits regularly at the Mall Galleries in London and was the 1995 winner of the ROI Alan Gourley Memorial Prize for an outstanding painter and was awarded the Le Clerc Fowle gold medal in 2002. In 2006 he was awarded the Dartington Crystal Chalice for outstanding contribution and service to the Royal Institute of Oil Painters. His work has been shown at many galleries in London and the Provinces. After a very successful business career it was always an ambition to develop his artistic talent. Upon retiring 20 years ago, he actively pursued art as a self-taught artist. He has frequently given art demonstrations and was previously the Treasurer and President of the Royal Institute of Oil Painters.
- 1998 Hawker Gallery
- 1999 Hawker Gallery
- 2000 John Noott Gallery
- 2000 Hawker Gallery
- 2001 Catto Gallery
- 2002 Catto Gallery
- 2005 Catto Gallery
Fred also exhibits annually with the Royal Societies of which he is a member, exhibiting with The Wapping Group of Artists and individual showings at numerous galleries in the Provinces.
Scholarships, Awards, Prizes
- 1995 ROI Alan Gourley Memorial prize for an outstanding painting
- 2003 ROI Le Clerc Gold medal for best group of paintings
- 2006 Dartington Crystal for outstanding contribution to ROI
- 2012 The Russell and Chapple Prize, Royal Society of Marine Artists.
- Feb 2006 Leisure Painter feature article ‘Picture Profile’ on Fred Beckett.