Ruth Pilkington ROI
The Jersey landscape with it coastlines, green countryside and twisting lanes has provided Ruth Pilkington with most of her inspiration in recent years, although memories of her life in South Africa are constant themes in her work since leaving the country in 1960. She has also been inspired by travels to Europe and she has painted prolifically from themes gathered in Greece. The olive trees of Corfu and Crete in particular have lead Ruth into using mixed-media and etching, as well as oils. Method of Working Ruth works mostly using oil paints, and until recently she always painted in the open air. She has always preferred painting directly onto canvas, using a quick under-painting of a single colour wash to capture the tones of quickly changing light and tidal conditions. She usually completes the painting at home in my studio, using photographs to remind her of various colour changes and sea levels.
1924 Born, Manchester Married India in 1945 1949 -1950 Johannesburg Technical College, Fine Art course (PT) 1962 – 1965 Macclesfield College of Further Education Joined the W.R.N.S during the War and served for nearly four years in the UK, India and Sri Lanka.
- Royal Institute of Oil Painters
- Other Society Memberships Hon Jersey Society of Artists, HON. SWA Scholarships
- 1971 Finalist, Hunting Group Art Prize
- 1976 – Present day ROI Annual Exhibition, The Mall Galleries, London
- 1971, 1976 Manchester Academy of Fine Arts
- 1972 Salon International des Beaux Arts, Paris, France
- 1995 – 1997 Royal Society of British Artists, The Mall Galleries
- 1973 Hesketh Hubbard Art Society, Mall Galleries
- 1972 The United Society, The Mall Galleries
- Various exhibitions in Jersey, including several solo shows and group collections.