Artists are invited to submit works for exhibition alongside members of the Royal Institute of Oil Painters (ROI) at their Annual Exhibition 2018.
How to Submit
ALL work must be submitted online. Pre-selection from online entries will take place, after which pre-selected entries should be delivered to Mall Galleries, London, for final selection:
- Upload images of work at http://mallgalleries.oess.uk between Monday 14 May and Friday 17 August, 12 noon [Note: Images must be in JPEG format and under 5MB]
- Check http://mallgalleries.oess.uk on Friday 24 August, from 12 noon, to see if your work has been pre-selected
- If pre-selected, deliver your work on Saturday 29 September, 10am to 5pm, to Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD
- Check mallgalleries.org.uk on Wednesday 3 October, from 12 noon, to see if your work has been accepted to the exhibition
- If unaccepted, collect your work from Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD on Friday 5 October, 10am to 5pm
Submission opens: Monday 14 May, 12 noon
Submission closes: Friday 17 August, 12 noon
Pre-selection notification: Friday 24 August, 12 noon [Log in to see if your work has been pre-selected]
Receiving Day (if pre-selected only): Saturday 29 September, 10am to 5pm
Acceptance notification: Wednesday 3 October, 12 noon
Collection of unaccepted work: Friday 5 October, 10am to 5pm
Exhibition open: Wednesday 28 November, 10am – 5pm
Exhibition closes: Sunday 9 December, 1pm
Collection of unsold work: Thursday 13 December, 10am to 5pm
- Any artist over 18 may submit.
- Acceptable media: Oils. Acrylic and water soluble oil paint is acceptable if it is framed as an oil, so as not to spoil the general appearance of the exhibition. Glazing or wide mounts between painting and frame, as in watercolours, are not acceptable.
- Submission fee: £18 per work at the time of submitting (£12 per work for artists aged 35 or under).
- Maximum of six works submitted, maximum of four works selected.
- Work must have been completed in the last three years and not been exhibited in London previously.
- All work must be for sale, including 45%+VAT commission. Minimum sale price: £300.
- Works must be framed for final selection.
- Works should not be larger than 2.4m along the longest dimension.
Delivery & Collection
- Packaging from delivered works cannot be retained and must be taken away at the point of delivery.
- We are unable to wrap works or provide wrapping materials for any works being returned.
- Paintings should be completely dry at the time of delivery.
- Any work uncollected on the specified collection date/s will be stored at a separate location and the artist will be charged a storage fee.
- The Selection Committee is formed of artist members of the Society and is rotated annually.
- Selectors’ decisions are final and we are unable to offer feedback.
- Artists who are not resident in the UK but are resident in the EU or elsewhere are welcome to submit work. If your work is sold at the exhibition you have a responsibility to register and account for UK VAT with H.M. Revenue & Customs. Artists without a UK residence (known as ‘NETPs’ – non-established taxable persons) can find further details on ‘NETP’ status and how to register for VAT at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk, (HM Revenue & Customs Reference: Notice 700/1, Mar 2014) under the heading ‘Should I be registered for VAT?’ Please note: the registration process can take up to 4 weeks. Please address any questions you may have to the VAT Helpline on tel. no. 0300 200 3700 or Outside UK: +44 2920 501 261.
- Artists sending work from abroad should use a picture carrier. Many artists use Picture Post as they offer a packing and delivery service for our exhibitions (we do not accept any liability for their services). Picture Post – Tel: 0044 (0)1302 711011 / Mobile: 07833 450788 / Email: email@example.com
Terms & Conditions
- For full terms and conditions, click here.
Prizes & Awards
There are many prizes and awards available to win, including:
The Stanley Grimm Prize – Two awards of £700, to the painters whose work receive the most votes from visitors to the exhibition
The Alan Gourley Memorial Award – £1,000
Winsor & Newton Young Artist Awards (for artists aged 35 or under) – First Prize: £1,000 / Second Prize: £600 / Third Prize: £400 worth of Winsor & Newton Fine Art Materials
Winsor & Newton Non-Member Award – £150 worth of Winsor & Newton Fine Art Materials
The Le Clerc Fowle Medal
L. Cornelissen & Son – a contemporary version of a Victorian Oil Painter’s equipment
Frank Herring Easel Award – an easel
The Menena Joy Schwabe Memorial Award – £250
The Phyllis Roberts Award – £2,000
The Artist Magazine Award – a feature in The Artist magazine
The Dry Red Press Award – The winning work will be published as a greeting card in the Dry Red Press ‘Prize Winners’ range, with royalties from the sale of the cards going to the artist.
Dates & times
28 November to 9 December 2018
10am to 5pm (closes 1pm on final day)
Admission £4, £2.50 concessions, 50% off for National Art Pass holders, Free for Friends of Mall Galleries, ROI Friends and under 18s.
The Mall Galleries (by Admiralty Arch)
London SW1 5BD.