About > ROI Annual Exhibtion
ROI Annual Exhibition
The ROI seeks work in oils and is the only national art society devoted exclusively to oil painting.
The exhibition offers several prizes and awards, open to all participating artists (see ‘Prizes & Awards’ below).
Prizes & Awards
There are many prizes and awards available to win, including:
- The Phyllis Roberts Award – An award of £2,000 for an artist aged 30 or under
- Winsor & Newton Young Artist Awards (for artists aged 30 or under) – First Prize: £1,000 Winsor & Newton Fine Art Materials / Second Prize: £600 Winsor & Newton Fine Art Materials / Third Prize: £400 Winsor & Newton Fine Art Materials
- The Tony Merrick Memorial Prize – An award of £250 in memory of the late Tony Merrick ROI (1948-2018)
- The ROI Emerging Artist Prize – A prize of £250 and the opportunity to spend a day with one of the Institute’s members, for an artist aged 30 or under at the time of submission
- The Small Painting Prize – An award of £250, open to members and non-members, for the best small painting on display (maximum dimension of 12 inches / 30.5 cm, excluding frame)
- The Alan Gourley Memorial Award – An annual prize of £1,000, awarded for a painting of outstanding merit
- The Stanley Grimm Prize – Two awards totalling £700 (first prize £400, second prize £300), to the painters whose work receive the most votes from visitors to the exhibition
- Winsor & Newton Non-Member Award – £150 worth of Winsor & Newton Fine Art Materials
- The Le Clerc Fowle Medal – In memory of Anne Le Clerc Fowle, presented annually for an outstanding group of paintings
- L. Cornelissen & Son – An award of a contemporary version of a Victorian Oil Painter’s equipment
- Frank Herring Easel Award – An award of a versatile easel
- The Menena Joy Schwabe Memorial Award – An award of £250 for an outstanding oil painter
- The Artist Magazine Award – The winning artist will be featured in a forthcoming issue of The Artist magazine, print and digital editions
- The Dry Red Press Award – The winning work will be published as a greeting card by Dry Red Press in their ‘Prize Winners’ range
Tim Benson PROI provides a summary of our latest annual show in 2020
Previous Annual Exhibitions
Our annual show is a proud and long held tradition for the ROI, going right back to its beginnnings in 1882. Below you can see some of the more recently archived exhibitions from the Mall Galleries in London.