The ROI seeks work in oils and is the only national art society devoted exclusively to oil painting. Artists are invited to submit works for exhibition alongside members of the Royal Institute of Oil Painters at their Annual Exhibition 2019. The exhibition includes several prizes and awards, open to all participating artists (see ‘Prizes & Awards’ below).
How to Submit
ALL work must be submitted online. Pre-selection from online entries will take place, after which pre-selected entries should be delivered to Mall Galleries, London, for final selection:
- Upload images of work at mallgalleries.oess.uk between Tuesday 28 May and Friday 30 August, 12 noon [Note: Images must be in JPEG format and under 5MB]
- Check mallgalleries.oess.uk on Friday 6 September, from 12 noon, to see if your work has been pre-selected
- If pre-selected, deliver your work on Saturday 12 October, 10am to 5pm, to Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD
- Check mallgalleries.org.uk on Tuesday 15 October, from 12 noon, to see if your work has been accepted to the exhibition
- If unaccepted, collect your work from Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD on Thursday 17 October, 10am to 5pm
Submissions open: Tuesday 28 May 2019, 12 noon
Submissions close: Friday 30 August, 12 noon
Pre-selection notification: Friday 6 September, 12 noon [Log in to see if your work has been pre-selected]
Receiving Day (if pre-selected only): Saturday 12 October, 10am to 5pm
Acceptance notification: Tuesday 15 October, 12 noon
Collection of unaccepted work: Thursday 17 October, 10am to 5pm
Exhibition open: Wednesday 27 November, 10am to 5pm
Exhibition closes: Sunday 8 December, 1pm
Collection of unsold work: Thursday 12 December, 10am to 5pm
- Any artist over 18 may submit.
- Acceptable media: Oils. Acrylic and water soluble oil paint is acceptable if it is framed as an oil, so as not to spoil the general appearance of the exhibition.
- Glazing or wide mounts between painting and frame, as in watercolours, are not encouraged.
- Submission fee: £18 per work (or £12 per work for artists aged 35 or under), which includes Free Admission to the exhibition (normally £4).
- Maximum of six works submitted by non members with a maximum of three works selected (combined measurement will not exceed 8 feet maximum).
- Work must have been completed in the last three years and not previously been exhibited at the Mall Galleries.
- With the exceptions of portraits which can be submitted on a NFS basis, all work must be for sale, including 45%+VAT commission. Minimum sale price: £300.
- Unframed work can be accepted if on a well presented box canvas.
Delivery & Collection
- Packaging from delivered works cannot be retained and must be taken away at the point of delivery.
- We are unable to wrap works or provide wrapping materials for any works being returned.
- Paintings should be completely dry at the time of delivery.
- Any work uncollected on the specified collection date/s will be stored at a separate location and the artist will be charged a storage fee.
- The Selection Committee is formed of artist members of the Society and is rotated annually.
- Selectors’ decisions are final and we are unable to offer feedback.
- Artists who are not resident in the UK but are resident in the EU or elsewhere are welcome to submit work. If your work is sold at the exhibition you have a responsibility to register and account for UK VAT with H.M. Revenue & Customs. Artists without a UK residence (known as ‘NETPs’ – non-established taxable persons) can find further details on ‘NETP’ status and how to register for VAT at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk, (HM Revenue & Customs Reference: Notice 700/1, Mar 2014) under the heading ‘Should I be registered for VAT?’ Please note: the registration process can take up to 4 weeks. Please address any questions you may have to the VAT Helpline on tel. no. 0300 200 3700 or Outside UK: +44 2920 501 261.
- Artists sending work from abroad should use a picture carrier. Many artists use Picture Post Art as they offer a packing and delivery service for our exhibitions (we do not accept any liability for their services). Picture Post Art – Tel: 0044 (0)1302 711011 / Mobile: 07833 450788 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms & Conditions
- For full terms and conditions, click here.
Theme for 2019
It has been decided that the theme of the 2019 annual exhibition will be “London”.
Prizes & Awards
There are many prizes and awards available to win, including:
NEW – Tony Merrick Memorial Prize – A £250 award in memory of Tony Merrick ROI (members and non-members).
NEW – Small Painting Prize – The award will be £250 (members and non-members). The work should have maximum dimension of 12 inches / 30.5 cm, excluding frame.
NEW – Emerging Artist Prize – for artists aged 30 or under (non-members). The prize is £250 and the opportunity to spend a day with one of the ROI members.
The Phyllis Roberts Award – An award of £2,000 to encourage and support young painters
The Alan Gourley Memorial Award – An annual prize of £1,000, awarded for a painting of outstanding merit
The Stanley Grimm Prize – Two awards totalling £700, to the painters whose work receive the most votes from visitors to the exhibition
Winsor & Newton Young Artist Awards (for artists aged 35 or under) – First Prize: £1,000 Winsor & Newton Fine Art Materials / Second Prize: £600 Winsor & Newton Fine Art Materials / Third Prize: £400 Winsor & Newton Fine Art Materials
Winsor & Newton Non-Member Award – £150 worth of Winsor & Newton Fine Art Materials
The Le Clerc Fowle Medal – In memory of Anne Le Clerc Fowle, annually presented for an outstanding group of paintings
L. Cornelissen & Son – An award of a contemporary version of a Victorian Oil Painter’s equipment
Frank Herring Easel Award – An award of a versatile easel
The Menena Joy Schwabe Memorial Award – An award of £250 for an outstanding oil painter
The Artist Magazine Award – The winning artist will be featured in a forthcoming issue of The Artist magazine, print and digital editions
The Dry Red Press Award – The winning work will be published as a greeting card by Dry Red Press in their ‘Prize Winners’ range