Born in Doncaster in 1948, David headed an engineering design team until 1988 when he became a full time painter. He was elected to the Royal Society of Marine Painters in 1983 and to the Royal Institute of Oil Painters in 1988. David, a regular contributor to the Royal Academy’s Summer Exhibition, also accepts commissions and is a board member of the Federation of British Artists.
In 1992 he won first prize in the Friedlander/Sunday Times watercolour competition. Essentially a ‘plein air’ painter working in watercolours and oils, both in this country and abroad, he is the author of several books including ‘A Light Touch – the landscape in oils’ and the film of the same name. A book and film on watercolours were released in 2005. David’s oil video ‘Light in the Landscape’ is available from APV films. More recently, a fourth book entitled “Capturing the Moment in Oils”, was published in 2007 with a film of the same title by APV Films. A fifth book on both oils and watercolours and a seventh film by APV Films were released in 2010, both titled “Painting with Impact”. A sixth book and an eight film are scheduled for 2012-2013 covering aspects of painting on location.
Private collections of his work include the Sultanate of Oman, HM Crown Commissioners,The Calvalry and Guards Club, The Portman Estate, British Gas, Panasonic UK Ltd, Shell UK Ltd, Girobank and Cadbury/Schweppes, Richard Curtis, John Cleese, Jeremy Clarkson, The Rockefeller Institute, New York, The Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment (Presentation of the Colours by HM the Queen 2008).
- Singer & Friedlander/Sunday Times Watercolour Competition – First Prize 1992
- – Second Prize 1997
- – Third Prize 1989,1991,1995
- RWS Collins Award – 1996
- ROI Stanley Grimm Memorial Prize Winner – 1991, 1997 & 2011
- ROI The Roberson Award – 1998
- ROI The Alan Gourley Memorial Prize – 2003
- ROI The Le Clerc Fowle Medal – 2003 & 2008
- ROI The Frank Herring Award – 2004
- RSMA The Worshipful Company of Shipwrights Award – 2002
- ROI The Dartington Crystal Award 2011