Lachlan Goudie ROI
Lachlan Goudie lives and works in London. He has regular solo exhibitions in New York, London and Glasgow. The scope of Lachlan’s work is broad, incorporating portraiture, still life and landscape painting. He uses archival imagery as the departure point for many of his paintings, exploring our nostalgia for a lost world of travel, adventure and romance. Photographs documenting the 19th Century Klondike Gold rush inspired him to spend a month in the wilderness of the Rocky Mountains. The sketches Lachlan created ‘on the road’ prompted new paintings which were recently exhibited at the Elizabeth Harris Gallery in New York. Lachlan is equally fascinated by our industrial landscape and is currently documenting the construction of the Royal Navy’s new aircraft carriers. He is artist in residence at the shipyards of Govan and Rosyth and is preparing a new body of work inspired by the greatest engineering project undertaken in Britain for 50 years.
Lachlan broadcasts regularly on the BBC radio programme, ‘From our own Correspondent’ and has written and presented a documentary for BBC4 about the history of witches in art. He is currently working on a new BBC documentary about Stanley Spencer. In 2012 Lachlan featured alongside five young ‘Creatives to watch’, in the Times Newspaper’s Luxx magazine. He was appointed a full member of the ROI in 2013.
- The Times – Luxx Magazine; ‘Best of British’ edition. July 2012
- BBC Radio; From our own Correspondent. July 2012
- The Scotsman; Michael Portillo – Art of my Family. 3rd July 2012
- The Scottish Field Magazine Online; Emigrants’ Tales. July 2012
- BBC Radio; From our own Correspondent. May 2012
- The Herald; Home on the Range. January 2012
- Diario de Jerez; A vision of Andalucia. November 2011
- The Herald; When his ship came in. October 2010
- The New York Sun; Testing the Urban Topography. June 2008
- The Royal Society of Painters in Oil Colour: W&N Award for Young Artist
- Royal Scottish Academy: The Norman MacFarlane Charitable Trust Award
- The Royal Glasgow Institute of Fine Arts: Royal College of Physicians Award
- University of Cambridge: The Levy-Plumb scholarship in the Visual Arts
Selected recent exhibitions
- 2013 The Royal Society of Painters in Oil Colour: Elected a full member ROI
- 2012 Glyndebourne, Lewes: Still life and the Opera
- 2012 The Roger Billcliffe Gallery,Glasgow : Lands of Streams and Timber
- 2011 The Elizabeth Harris Gallery, New York : A True Wilderness Heart
- 2011 Sketch drawing prize 2011 , The Rabley Drawing Centre, Marlborough
- 2011 Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery, Glasgow : The River Runs through it
- 2010 Roger Billcliffe Gallery, Glasgow : Of the Moment
- 2009 The Elizabeth Harris Galley, New York: Dreaming Places
- 2004 Camberwell College of Arts,The London Institute.
- 1999 Christ’s College, University of Cambridge.