Gregory Mason AROI
Greg studied illustration at St Martins School of Art and worked as an editorial illustrator in London in the 1980s before swapping this for a career in the fashion industry – travelling the world as an art director and working with some of the worlds top beauty brands.
‘Twelve years ago, having achieved everything I wanted in the fashion world, I realised I wanted to be creative for myself and not just for others, so I set up a studio and began painting – it was the best decision I ever made.’
Today, Greg is an Academician with the South West Academy of Art, the Professional Oil Painting Ambassador for Cass Art and you may have seen him on Sky Arts Portrait and Landscape Artist of the Year TV shows – where he was a finalist.
Greg’s work seeks to capture a sense of energy or a nuance of relationship between light, colour and texture, creating atmospheric works that are visually and technically striking whilst holding a deeper narrative.
‘When I first exhibited with the ROI in 2016, it was such a special moment… to see my work hanging in the Mall Galleries, surrounded by artists I admired working at the top of their game. Now to be selected by those same artists to join them as an associate at the ROI is a real honour and a dream come true.’
Qualifications & positions
- BA (Hons) from Saint Martin’s School of Art, London
- Academician at South West Academy
- Cass Art Professional Oil Painting Ambassador and Teacher
- 2018 SKY Arts Landscape Artist of the Year Finalist
- 2016 SKY Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Semi-Finalist
- 2020 Affordable Art Fair, London
- 2019 Affordable Art Fair, London
- 2019 Lime Tree Gallery, Bristol
- 2019 Clarendon Gallery, Mayfair
- 2019 Noon Powell Fine Art
- 2019 South West Academy
- 2018 ROI Mall Galleries, London
- 2018 Cass Art Gallery, London
- 2018 South West Academy
- 2017 ROI Mall Galleries, London
- 2017 The Wallace Collection, London
- 2017 RP Mall Galleries, London
- 2017 RWA Open Exhibition, Bristol
- 2017 The Other Art Fair, London
- 2017 Tonic Gallery, Salcombe
- 2017 Jackson’s Art Prize Shortlist
- 2017 South West Academy
- 2016 The Other Art Fair London
- 2016 The Other Art Fair Bristol
- 2016 ROI Mall Galleries
- 2016 South West Academy
- 2015 Hybrid Gallery
- 2015 Affordable Art Fair, London
- 2015 South West Academy
- 2008-Present: Freelance Artist
- 1989-2008 CEO at gm-design. Graphic Design consultancy working as an Art Director with global clients including Vidal Sassoon, Aveda & Schwarzkopf Professional.
- 1983-1989 Freelance Illustrator. Clients included: New Scientist, The Listener, Times Educational Supplement, various magazines and book publishers.
- 1979-1983 Saint Martin’s School of Art, London
- 1970-1979 Latymer Upper School, Hammersmith