Alice Hall ROI
I have been fortunate to have had five successful solo shows. All my work is painted in situ, plein aire painting is an exciting challenge, the aim being to capture character and mood, while being truthful to the subject.
When I set out to paint I look more like a vagrant than an artist. Wearing many warming layers of paint-encrusted clothing and carrying a rucksack full with paints, pallets, brushes and much more essential clobber beside. Once I’ve selected my chosen vantage point I set up my impromptu studio and start work, first sketching the composition and then building up areas of colour with swift brushstrokes. I tend to work intensely for short periods of time, often returning many times to the same spot, or alternatively completing a painting in one sitting. When I start work on a painting I have no idea how long it will take.
- Royal Opera Arcade Gallery, Pall Mall, 15th – 27th June 2015
- The Chance Gallery, SW3, 3rd-9th June 2013
- 54 The Gallery Shepherd Market, 15th-21st March 2011
- The Muse, Portobello Road, 10th-28th June 2009
- Glebe Place Studio, 28th-4th December 2008