Barry Peckham ROI
Barry Peckham’s preferred working method is to be out in the landscape working directly from the subject . The ever changing light provides constant stimulation which helps to produce exciting effects. For larger works he spends studio time on the drawing and composition before taking the canvas out of doors to work on.
Method of Working
Barry has used a variety of mediums in the past including Oils , Watercolour and Pastels. For most of his work barry now uses Oils with Watercolours being used less often. He uses flat hog hair brushes and some nylon pointed brushes when painting in oils starting with paint diluted with White Spirit then as the painting progresses thicker paint is applied. He generally has more than one painting on the go because he works on location which is subject to changing weather, light and seasonal conditions. Photographs are sometimes taken as backup for details or lack of time. Commissioned work presents different requirements and often takes much longer to complete.
- Born in the New Forest in 1945 (30th Dec)
- Mainly self taught, part time study at Southampton Art College i.e. A level art, Life Drawing, Etching.
- Exhibited with Royal Society of Marine Artists, Pastel Society, Royal west of England Academy, Royal Academy.
- Elected full member of ROI in 2000.
- Royal Institute of Oil Painters
- Other Society Memberships
- Society of Equestrian Artists
Scholarships, Awards, Prizes
- Cuneo Medal (Society of Equestrian Artists)
- Royal Institute of Oil Painters Annual Exhibition 2017
- Royal Institute of Oil Painters Annual Exhibition 2016
- Royal Society of Marine Artists Annual Exhibition 2016
- Royal Institute of Oil Painters Annual Exhibition 2015
- Royal Society of Marine Artists Annual Exhibition 2015
- Royal Institute of Oil Painters Annual Exhibition 2014
- ROI 2008
- RSMA 2008
- SEA 2008
- ROI 2007
- SEA 2007
- Barry Peckham’s New Forest, Published by Halsgrove 2001
- Seasons on the Forest, Published by Red Post Books 2005