Gregory Mason AROI
Greg studied illustration at St Martins School of Art and worked as an editorial illustrator in London in the 1980s before swapping this for a career in the fashion industry – travelling the world as an art director and working with some of the worlds top beauty brands. In 2006 his path changed again as he followed his passion for painting.
Today, Greg is the Professional Oil Painting Ambassador for Cass Art, with appearances on Sky Arts Portrait and Landscape Artist of the Year TV shows – where he was a finalist. He is an author and coach, contributing to various artists magazines, and hosts creative retreat workshops in Mallorca where he has a studio.
Greg’s work seeks to capture a sense of energy or a nuance of relationship between light, colour and texture, creating atmospheric works that are visually and technically striking whilst holding a deeper narrative.
His work is held in collections around the world and exhibited in galleries in the UK and Spain.
Within the ROI
For the ROI, Greg has developed a special coaching programme for ROI Friends designed to help develop artistic identity, build confidence and focus on achievable goals. He also hosts paint-out days, passing on some of those hard learned painting skills, as well as developing social media content on ROI events and ROI member profiles.
Qualifications & positions
- BA (Hons) from Saint Martin’s School of Art, London
- Cass Art Professional Oil Painting Ambassador and Teacher
- 2021 SKY Arts Live – Portrait Artist of the Week – Jill Nader
- 2018 SKY Arts Landscape Artist of the Year Finalist
- 2016 SKY Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Semi-Finalist
- 2022 Artist & Illustrator Magazine
- 2023 Paint Magazine
- 2023 ROI Mall Galleries, London
- 2023 ROI Show, Thompson Gallery, Aldeburgh
- 2023 Galeria 21, Mallorca
- 2022 ROI Mall Galleries, London
- 2022 Sky Arts Retrospective, Compton Verney
- 2022 Art Pollenca, Mallorca
- 2022 Transience of Beauty, Gallery Holt
- 2021 ROI Mall Galleries, London
- 2020 ROI Mall Galleries, London
- 2020 Affordable Art Fair, London
- 2019 ROI Mall Galleries, London
- 2019 Affordable Art Fair, London
- 2019 Lime Tree Gallery, Bristol
- 2019 Clarendon Gallery, Mayfair
- 2019 Noon Powell Fine Art
- 2019 South West Academy
- 2018 ROI Mall Galleries, London
- 2018 Cass Art Gallery, London
- 2018 South West Academy
- 2017 ROI Mall Galleries, London
- 2017 The Wallace Collection, London
- 2017 RP Mall Galleries, London
- 2017 RWA Open Exhibition, Bristol
- 2017 The Other Art Fair, London
- 2017 Tonic Gallery, Salcombe
- 2017 Jackson’s Art Prize Shortlist
- 2017 South West Academy
- 2016 The Other Art Fair London
- 2016 The Other Art Fair Bristol
- 2016 ROI Mall Galleries
- 2016 South West Academy
- 2015 Hybrid Gallery
- 2015 Affordable Art Fair, London
- 2015 South West Academy
- 2008-Present: Freelance Artist
- 1989-2008 CEO at gm-design. Graphic Design consultancy working as an Art Director with global clients including Vidal Sassoon, Aveda & Schwarzkopf Professional.
- 1983-1989 Freelance Illustrator. Clients included: New Scientist, The Listener, Times Educational Supplement, various magazines and book publishers.
- 1979-1983 Saint Martin’s School of Art, London
- 1970-1979 Latymer Upper School, Hammersmith