Linda Alexander ROI
Linda Alexander’s early career as a qualified architect was spent working for a number of award winning architectural practices. Her graphic skills were employed preparing artwork and presentation drawings for national and international competitions. One of these drawings was exhibited at the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition.
Following a number of successful shows Linda decided to become a full-time professional artist in 2005. Her work has been shown in London galleries, including the Mall Galleries London and between 2007 and 2018 she exhibited each year at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show. She has won a number of prestigious awards and prizes including the Artist & Illustrators ‘Artist of the Year’ and her work is in private collections worldwide. In 2016 she was delighted to be elected a full member of The Royal Institute of Oil Painters.
In her early career as an artist Linda was known for her large scale paintings of flowers and botanical subjects. She was fascinated by the effects of strong sunlight on these intricate subjects and loved to paint their complex structures and delicate surface textures. In recent years her work has progressed into the world of still life painting. Here she still enjoys some of the same observations but her work is quieter and has become more contemplative in nature. New fascinations have developed. A love of the balance achieved between objects and the spaces between, the interplay of shadows and textures, the joy of reflective surfaces and the enjoyment of soft and hard edges. Her still life paintings are small and simple. But the careful observation of one or two small, beautifully portrayed objects, allow the viewer a moment of quiet contemplation. Stillness in such a fast moving world.
Awards and Prizes
- 2023 – The Chelsea Art Society The Green and Stone Prize
- 2022 – The Royal Institute of Oil Painters The Dartington Crystal Chalice
- 2019 – The Royal Institute of Oil Painters The Alan Gourley Memorial Award
- 2016 – The Royal Institute of Oil Painters The Stanley Grimm Memorial Prize (2nd Place)
- 2015 – The Royal Institute of Oil Painters The Dry Red Press Award
- 2015 – The Society of Botanical Artists Annual Exhibition – People’s Choice Award
- 2015 – The Society of Botanical Artists Suzanne Lucas Memorial Award
- 2015 – The Society of Botanical Artists Strathmore Papers Award
- 2014 – Artists & Illustrators Magazine Finalist in their Artist of the Year competition
- 2013 – The Society of Botanical Artists The Great Art Prize
- 2012 – Artists & Illustrators Magazine Winner of the Artist of the Year competition
- 2010 – International Artist Magazine Grand Prize Winner
- 2008 – The Royal Institute of Oil Painters The Stanley Grimm Memorial Prize (1st Place)